Mon - Fri 09:00 - 17:15

A Guide to Right to Rent for Tenants

INTRO - When it came in and why

As part of the referencing process before you move into a property, in addition to employment and landlord references, your agent or landlord will ask you for photographic ID in order that they can verify your ‘Right to Rent’. Furthermore, if you were born outside of the EU they will also request a copy of your Visa.

The documentation normally requested in regards to Photographic ID will be either a passport or Driving Licence, that said, we appreciate that there are people who do not have either of these documents but that doesn’t mean that you can’t rent a property.

Supplying Evidence 

There are various other documents that you can provide in order to evidence your identification that are suitable for the purpose of tenant referencing and Right to Rent and these are detailed below:

Unlimited Time to Rent

Acceptable single documents which show an unlimited right to rent

  • UK Passport
  • EEA/Swiss national passport/identity card
  • Registration Certificate or document certifying permanent residence of EEA/Swiss national
  • EEA/Swiss family member Permanent Residence card
  • Biometric Residence Permit with unlimited leave
  • Passport or travel document endorsed with unlimited leave
  • UK immigration status document endorsed with unlimited leave
  • A certificate of naturalisation or registration as a British citizen

Acceptable document combinations which show an unlimited right to rent (any 2 of the below to be shown in combination)

  • UK birth or adoption certificate
  • Full or provisional UK driving license
  • A letter from HM Prison Service
  • A letter from a UK Government Department or Local Authority
  • A letter from National Offender Management Service
  • Evidence of current or previous service in UK armed forces
  • A letter from a police force confirming that certain documents have been reported stolen
  • A letter from a private rented sector access scheme
  • A letter of attestation from an employer
  • A letter from a UK further or higher education institution
  • A letter of attestation from a UK passport holder working in an acceptable profession
  • Benefits paperwork
  • Criminal Record Check

Time-limited right to rent

Documents which show a time-limited right to rent

  • A valid passport endorsed with a time‑limited period
  • Biometric immigration document with permission to stay for time-limited period
  • Non-EEA national residence card
  • UK immigration status document with a time-limited endorsement from Home Office


Its important to remember that your landlord/agent is required to check your documentation to evidence you still have the right to Rent should your previous documentation indicate a time limited ‘right to rent’, this will take place at either 12 months after the tenancy began ( the documents were originally checked) or  at the point your Visa (if applicable) expires whichever is the later. Don’t worry though, this is normal procedure.

We would recommend that you take this right to rent ID information with you when you view the property/make an offer as your agent/landlord will need to see the physical document with you present and not just a copy.